NYK Component Solutions the “Trusted Interconnect Solutions” provider has the exclusive UK franchise to distribute products for IEH Corporation, the global leader in design and manufacture of hyperboloid contacts and connectors.
Up-rate performance with Hyperboloid Contacts
Many harsh environment interconnect problems can be addressed by employing the use of military specified connectors such as MIL-DTL-38999, which are field proven and naturally meet many of the extreme demands in military and commercial applications. These and many other connector types can be up-rated by using Hyperboloid contacts.
The advanced Hyperboloid design satisfies performance requirements previously considered impossible. The distinguishing feature of the socket is the hyperboloid-shaped sleeve formed by straight wires strung at an angle to the longitudinal axis. When the pin is inserted into this sleeve, the wires stretch, well within elastic limits, to accommodate it. In so doing, the wires wrap themselves around the pin providing several continuous line contact paths.
Benefits of Hyperboloid Contacts
The benefits of using a Hyperboloid contact in a d38999 connector are:
- Immunity to Shock & Vibration. The low mass and resulting low inertia of the wires allows them to follow the most extreme excursions of the pin without loss of contact. Tests exceed 300g’s without discontinuity;
- Very-Low Insertion Force. Enabling high-density connectors, upwards of several hundred contacts per connector;
- 100,000+ Mating Cycles. The burnishing action of the wires on the pin surface is non-destructive. Unlike the “plough and scrape” action of common designs, Hyperboloid’s gentle mating action enhances life;
- Improved Current Carrying Capacity. The low contact resistance gives a lower °C rise from ambient under load. This feature often allows you to operate the same size contact under higher load;
- Low Contact Resistance. The multiplicity of line contact, as opposed to point contact in other designs, provides an excellent interface exhibiting low contact resistance (often less than ½ of Mil-Spec. allowances as used in MIL-DTL-38999). This characteristic also provides for a cooler running contact under load.
The range of variants has evolved specifically for harsh environments, be they supplied as a complete connector or contacts to fit your D38999 connector or another high-performance connector. Sometimes, as is the case with extreme shock and vibration, the contacts need to deliver a consistent signal stability and in these circumstances the end user should take into consideration the design and benefits of the Hyperboloid contacts within the connector, moving away from traditional pin and socket designs and exploiting a contact specifically designed to withstand the most extreme physical demands.
Available Now From NYK Component Solutions
The IEH Hyperboloid connectors and contacts are available in the UK from NYK Component Solutions. The contacts catalogue offers a representative sampling of the many different mating diameters and termination styles we have produced for military, commercial aerospace, space, medical and industrial high-power applications. For these harshest environments, you will not find a more durable, rugged, or reliable connector or contact.